30 December 2008

Ode to My Chicago Christmas Family Vacation in Chicago for Christmas with My Family

Chicago was good, Chicago was busy
Started out with flying down into the snowy city

At the Midway airport, met up with my mother
Had some time to kill before we'd get to see my brother

El into the Loop, to the art museum
I tell you what I saw, I tell you how I see 'em

----------

Grant Wood: "American Gothic!"
(that's his daughter, folks, not his wife)

Ed Hopper: "Nighthawker!"
lonely times, it's true, in a big city life

Dan Burnham: "Chicago Planner!"
everything's so organized, every mile 8 streets

Georges Seurat: "Lazy Sunday!"
but tell me what is up, with that monkey on a leash?

Georgia O'Keeffe: "Clouds!"

----------

Finally together, family tradition
Awesome sushi dinner, that's some mighty fine fishin'

Lunch the next day, all you can eat
Brazilian steakhouse = meat meat meat
(and a ridiculous salad bar with some really good sun-dried tomatoes and smoked salmon and hearts of palm and prosciutto and...)

Christmas Eve service, in three different tongues:
English, Spanish, Karen (that's a Burmese one)

Chillin' on Christmas, I'm glad that we came
But it's not the house I'm used to, so it's just not the same

Brunch with friends the next day, then later that night
Tapas and sangria, some delicious little bites

Early the next morning, we end our tale
Was supposed to go back home but for an airport fail