13 January 2009

Remind Me

I thought about doing a "looking back on 2008" or "looking ahead to 2009" post, but really, it's all felt the same to me and I didn't know what to say. I'm currently working out a more weighty post that may or may not take shape, but in the meantime, here's a bit of spontaneous list-making to help me take stock of some of the positive outward elements of my life, in whatever order--things that I am grateful for, to some degree or other:
  • job
  • cubicle area with a window and lots of natural light
  • income that covers my cost of living
  • friends
  • familiarity (geographical and otherwise)
  • music to see and be a part of
  • church that suits me and that I believe in, more or less
  • living within walking distance of church, friends, coffee shops, etc.--and a short commute to work
  • functioning car
And on the other side of the balance? Um, well...

Admittedly, every one of those things has a flip side or a disconnect or a yearning for more or for change or whatever else (clearly I'm missing something about Paul's idea of contentment in Philippians 4). Plus so much else that I could add to that side of the scale. I wasn't going to do that list anyway, but hmm...

I do have a life here. Just not sure what to make of it right now.